Sunday, October 14, 2012

Prayer List or Gossip List

     I have been included in 2 prayer groups on Facebook. And, with all of the drama in the world, my feed is slammed with prayer requests. I was contemplating maybe posting a prayer list on the fridge next to the grocery list. I was struck by a thought. In our world of who you know and what you know, do we use our prayer lists as a device of gossip? Or, do we use it as a gift to truly lift our friends, loved one, strangers and the hardest of all, our enemies in prayer? Can we say we genuinely want the best for them. Or, do we want to be able to say "I prayed for you." Or, " You should see MY prayer list." I am not saying that the groups are bad. They are a great tool as long as they are being used to raise people in prayer, and not as a way to gossip.
     I am not saying that we should not share our prayer lists. But, just remember, the devil is in the details. He doesn't want our prayer to be heartfelt and sincere. We need to pray with purpose. Pouring our heart out for him. He will listen. He is often there, whether we like it or not. That is the hard part. You know, it is often easier to tell a friend about and indiscretion than God. God already knows.
     And, take a moment to look up scripture on prayer. Take note of the amount of reference to praise in comparison to scripture about asking for intervention. So, perhaps, when making our prayer lists, we should make two columns. One column for Praises, one for Needs. And, make sure that you have two praises for every request. It really is not hard to do. This idea reminds me about the Valentine gift I made for Jerry this year. Take a deck of playing cards and write one thing you love about your husband/wife on each card. It can be something as broad as that "you keep the house clean" (Jerry would not have that one. But, I am working on it.) to something as small as "the way your hair curls behind your ear."
     And, one last note, and this is going to tick some people off. We need to pray for the future of our country. That does not mean simply praying that your candidate wins. Yes, you should pray that if it genuinely lies on your heart. But, we need to pray for all of the candidates. Yes, all of them. ONE of them will be our president. It may not be your choice. And, there are other elections. And, we should be praying for the families of the candidates. Could you imagine what they go through hearing people bad mouthing their loved ones? We are supposed to loves our enemies. That means praying for them.
     I know I have friends who don't believe in God. And, don't believe in prayer. I do, strongly. I always have. But, after sitting at my daughter's funeral with a smile on my face because I could feel us being bathed in prayer, yeah, I am more of a believer than ever.
     OK. I am getting off of my soap box now.

James 5:13-14 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

No comments: